POPS PROPS is a free, informal, prop-betting pool that opens for entries six-to-eight-days before each Super Bowl. The tradition pays tribute to POPS FRESHENMEYER, who invented POPS PROPS in the late 1990s.
Of our 231 unique entrants, 102 (44.2 percent) have entered more than one of the 13 POPS PROPS:
|Number of POPS PROPS||Players who have entered|
Each POPS PROPS has had a different number of questions, but there’s been an average of just fewer than 80:
|PROPS||Entrants||Questions||High score||Winning margin||Top 10 cutoff||Mean||Low score|
Finally, let’s briefly define our eight question categories:
THE FIRST FOUR
These are the four essential questions that summarize what happened in the game.
* Who will win?
* How many total points will be scored?
* Will the sum of total points be even or odd?
* Who will win MVP?
THE EARLY GAME
What’s going to happen with the coin toss, and what can we expect to see in the opening quarter?
* Will the opening coin toss land on heads or tails?
* Which team will win the pre-game coin toss?
* The opening kickoff will be returned…
* Which team will be assessed the first accepted penalty?
* Which team will call the first timeout?
* Which team will cross the 50-yard line first?
* Which head coach will throw the first challenge flag?
* The first commercial after the conclusion of the first quarter will advertise…
What’s going to happen with the National Anthem, America The Beautiful and the halftime show?
* How long will America The Beautiful last?
* What will be the color of the singer’s outfit?
* How long will the National Anthem last?
* What will be the color of the singer’s outfit?
* What’s going to happen with the halftime performers??
THE TWO HALVES
What’s going to happen in the game? How many points will be scored in each quarter? Who will lead at the end of each quarter?
* Will the first points be scored in the first 5 minutes, 30 seconds?
* Which team will score first?
* The first points will be awarded as a result of a…
* The total number of first-quarter points will be…
* Which team will lead at the end of the first quarter?
* The total number of second-quarter points will be…
* Which team will lead at halftime?
* The total number of third-quarter points will be…
* The total number of fourth-quarter points will be…
* In which half will there be a greater number of points scored?
* Which team(s) will score in the final 4 minutes?
* Which team will score last?
* Will the team that scores first win the game?
What kind of show will we see from the two teams? How many touchdowns will there be? How many sacks, interceptions, fumbles, penalties, etc?
* The total number of touchdowns will be…
* The longest touchdown will be…
* The shortest touchdown will be…
* Will there be a defensive or special-teams touchdown?
* The total number of successful third-down conversions will be…
* The total number of successful fourth-down conversions will be…
* How many accepted penalties will be assessed in the game?
* Which team will have the most penalty yards against?
* The total number of sacks will be…
* The total number of interceptions will be…
* The total number of lost fumbles will be…
How will the individual passing, rushing, receiving, kicking and defensive statistics break down?
* The AFC starting quarterback’s total passing yards will be…
* The NFC starting quarterback’s total passing yards will be…
* The total number of passing yards in the game will be…
* The total number of passing attempts in the game will be…
* The total number of passing attempts by someone other than the starting quarterbacks will be…
* The AFC team’s leading rusher will gain…
* The NFC team’s leading rusher will gain…
* Which team will gain the most rushing yards?
* The total amount of rushing yards will be…
* The longest run from scrimmage will be…
* The AFC receiver that gains the most receiving yards will tally…
* The AFC receiver that gains the second-most receiving yards will tally…
* The NFC receiver that gains the most receiving yards will tally…
* The NFC receiver that gains the second-most receiving yards will tally…
* The sum of the receiving yards by the AFC and NFC players with the third-most receiving yards will be…
* Which player will gain the most all-purpose (receiving + return + rushing) yards?
* How many times will an AFC player be tackled or forced out of bounds for a loss of yards
* How many times will an NFC player be tackled or forced out of bounds for a loss of yards
* Who will lead the AFC team in tackles?
* Who will lead the NFC team in tackles?
* Which kicker will have more total points?
* Which team will make the longest field goal?
* The longest field goal will be..
* The shortest field goal will be…
* The total number of field goals will be…
* The total number of missed field goals will be..
* Which punter will have the longest punt?
* The total number of punts will be..
* The total number of returned punts (non safe-catches) will be…
* The longest punt return will be…
* The longest kickoff return will be…
How will the game totals compare against other statistics, such as the price of gas in the United States at kickoff?
How many letters will be in the last names of the players who do something notable, such as scoring the first touchdown?